Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jerry Coyne Attacks Jim Al-Khalili and Gets Free Will Wrong Again

Jerry Coyne continues his naive nineteenth century mechanistic materialist denial of modern compatibilist views on free will.  He has launched a determinist attack on Jim Al-Khalili's ideas on free will, whose views I personally agree with.  Jim Al-Khalili is a Professor of Theoretical Physics at the University of Surrey and he has hosted several BBC productions about science.  He is currently President of the British Humanist Association.

It is late in the evening and I am tired and about to go to bed.  So I won't write a critique of Jerry's position, but instead I will post a link to one post on this thread on his blog where I think the poster got it just right as a substitute here

He quotes Jim Al-Khalili:



“our actions still determine which of the infinite number of possible futures is the one that gets played out.”

What Jerry fails to understand in his Jihad for determinism is that for modern quantum cosmology only the ensemble is deterministic so we face an "infinite number of possible futures".  That is the wonder of the world we live in.




When I get it together I intend to discuss Jim Al-Khalili's ideas on quantum biology.


No comments:

Post a Comment